We offer a comprehensive range of accredited and tailored microbiological and chemical laboratory services, with expert consultancy for many aspects of water.
Our focus is to deliver scientifically valid results, independently verified by The Health Protection Agency External Quality Scheme. All methods are continuously updated to comply with current UK and European legislation, guidance and recommendations.
We are committed to providing accurate, reliable and rapid services from our purpose built laboratories in London.
Some of our work concerns complaints about taste, discolouration or smell of drinking water. These problems generally stem from the deterioration of the internal plumbing system, due to poor maintenance or faulty design. Inadequate storage conditions, warming, stagnation and incorrect use of building materials which provide an ideal environment for microorganisms to breed, such as legionella and pseudomonas.
- We offer a fast, affordable service to examine and identify bacteria, algae, fungi, yeasts, and moulds present. These tests range from simple bacteria colony count, coliform and E.coli and pseudomonas analysis to more specialist techniques for the isolation of organisms such a legionella bacteria.
- Analysis can assist in providing a clear picture of the quality, maintenance and operation of water treatment and air conditioning systems.
- Our tests allow us to evaluate the efficiency of specific biocides and disinfectants, so that we can advise you on dosage, and the effectiveness of water systems and hygiene practises in place.
- We test samples for physicochemical components, enabling us to ensure relevant standards are met, the condition of systems including rates of corrosion is monitored and causes of blockages are determined.
- We can assess water quality on an ongoing basis so that you are confident the swimming pool, spa or interactive water feature treatment regime is operating properly and avoiding any risk to employees or customers as indicated by HSG 282, the Health and Safety at Work Act and COSHH.
- Should any air or water quality problems arise – through, say, failing treatment plant, corrosion or microbiological contaminants – we can investigate the cause and advise on the most appropriate solution.
- We conduct regular swimming pool operator and swimming pool supervisor training or refresher programmes. These can be City&Guilds accredited or tailored to match your individual needs and the specific treatment regimes you have in place.
- We safely carry out Cryptosporidium investigations to ensure your facility is safe when a local outbreak occurs.
Waters from heating, cooling and other closed pipework systems are known to be a difficult matrix to analyse, especially due to the unique composition of individual systems and unknown interfering chemicals. We have many years’ experience analysing closed water systems and have developed specifically optimised methods to overcome these challenges. Our experienced team can also provide interpretive advice based on analytical results.
We offer a number of suites of tests that support the delivery of compliance to BSRIA guidelines.
Waters are sampled from a wide variety of sources, but any discharges must comply with discharge consent limits, set by the Environment Agency. We can provide a wide range of tests for routine monitoring, site characterisation, or contamination to water courses. Accreditation applies across a range of matrices including:
- Trade effluent
- Landfill leachates
- Ground and surface waters
- Process waters
Commonly requested parameters include:
- Toxic metals – Cu, Cr, Hg, Ni, Pb, Zn, Fe, Al, Be, As, B, etc.
- Major cations – Na, K, Ca, Mg
pH and electrical conductivity
- BOD – biochemical oxygen demand
- COD – chemical oxygen demand
- Anions – Cl, NO3, NO2, SO4, PO4
- Ammoniacal nitrogen – free ammonia, ammonium
- Cyanides – Total, Free (easily liberatable), Thiocyanate
- OFG – oils, fats and greases
- Alkalinity – carbonate and bicarbonate
- Solids – total suspended solids, total dissolved solids, total solids
- TOC – total organic carbon
- VOCs – volatile organic compounds
- SVOCs – semivolatile organic compounds
- TPH – GRO, EPH, speciated TPH, BTEX
- PAHs – polyaromatic hydrocarbons
- PCBs – polychlorinated biphenyls
- Pesticides & herbicides – chlorinated, phosphorylated, triazines